Employer gave me an empty w2 form and the tax return filing deadline is in 4 days?

Alienator 04/13/2018. 11 answers
Business & Finance Taxes

The first w2 I recieved was incorrect. It took over 2 months for a corrected W2. Now that I have the form, the box numbers 1 through 20 are blank.

It's April 13th, the deadline to file taxes is April 17th.

What will happen if I don't file a tax return? This is my first time dealing with taxes.

11 Answers

StephenWeinstein 04/14/2018.

The deadline is more flexible than you think. On Monday, file the form to request an extension. That will give you some more time to figure out what to do next.

Even if you don't request an extension, if you were entitled to a refund and you file 1-2 years late, there is no penalty for lateness; you still get the full refund. There is a penalty if you owe the government money. If you were entitled to a refund and file over 3 years late, then you don't get the refund.

babyboomer1001 04/14/2018.

File it as given. You can't write down on the return what is not there on the W2. If it is comes back to you as wrong, at least you got it in on time and you have a legitimate reason to request an accurate one from your employer and then resubmit it without penalty.

Pascal the Gambler 04/14/2018.

Unless you owe, it doesn't matter.

Kherova 04/14/2018.

File for an extension.

? 04/14/2018.

Go to irs.gov and click on "file an extension". This will give you another six months to finish your tax return.

However, it does not extend the due date for payment. So if you know approximately what numbers should be on your W2, do a draft of your tax return to see whether you owe anything, and if so, pay it.

ocularnervosa 04/14/2018.

Contact the IRS, let them know you have a problem with your W-2 and file for an extension. Since the problem didn't originate with you they should allow you to file a late return with no penalty.

Judy 04/14/2018.

File for an extension. And if you are sure you won't owe, there is no penalty for being late or even for not filing.

Elaine M 04/14/2018.

Go back to the employer with it and tell them you STILL do not have the correct form and they're required by law to have had one to you by Jan. 31st. If you don't get one today or Monday you're filing a complaint with the IRS.

And do it. This is inexcusable. Here's the link for what to contact.
[ Thebalance.com Link ]

DEBS 04/14/2018.

If you don't file on time, you could get a penalty. If you know about what your income was and your taxes were (look at your last paystub), then you file an extension. You'll need to estimate what you think your taxes are. If you owe as a result of that estimate, then you need to pay it now. If you are supposed to get money back, then you get nothing until you file for real.

Max Hoopla 04/14/2018.

You don't have a corrected form. If you know what is correct download IRS Form 4852 and file it with a paper return.

KaleyK 04/14/2018.

File your return by the 17th with the best information you have. Keep every piece of paper, even the envelope that your W2 came in. Make notes of every conversation with your employer. The IRS will iron out the details. You must file by the 17th.

HighResolutionMusic.com - Download Hi-Res Songs

1 Ariana Grande

7 Rings flac

Ariana Grande. 2019. Writer: Ariana Grande;Richard Rodgers;TBHits;Njomza;Michael "Mikey" Foster;Kaydence;Tayla Parx;Scootie;Oscar Hammerstein II;Victoria Monét.
2 Alan Walker

Lily flac

Alan Walker. 2018. Writer: Alan Walker;Lars Kristian Rosness;Magnus Bertelsen;K-391;Didrik Handlykken;Marcus Arnbekk.
3 Alec Benjamin

Let Me Down Slowly flac

Alec Benjamin. 2019. Writer: Alec Benjamin;Sir Nolan;Michael Pollack.
4 Alan Walker

Lost Control flac

Alan Walker. 2018. Writer: Alan Walker;Thomas Troelsen;Mood Melodies;Sorana;Fredrik Borch Olsen;Magnus "Magnify" Martinsen.
5 Skylar Grey

Everything I Need flac

Skylar Grey. 2018. Writer: Elliott Taylor;Rupert Gregson-Williams;Skylar Grey.
6 Post Malone

Sunflower flac

Post Malone. 2018. Writer: Carl Rosen;Louis Bell;Billy Walsh;Carter Lang;Swae Lee;Post Malone.
7 Westlife

Hello My Love flac

Westlife. 2019. Writer: Steve Mac;Ed Sheeran.
8 Alan Walker

Different World flac

Alan Walker. 2018. Writer: Shy Nodi;Alan Walker;Fredrik Borch Olsen;James Njie;Marcus Arnbekk;Gunnar Greve Pettersen;K-391;Corsak;Shy Martin;Magnus Bertelsen.
9 Sam Smith

Fire On Fire flac

Sam Smith. 2018. Writer: Steve Mac;Sam Smith.
10 Conor Maynard

Way Back Home (Sam Feldt Edit) flac

Conor Maynard. 2018. Writer: Ji Hye Lee;Shaun.
11 Normani

Dancing With A Stranger flac

Normani. 2019. Writer: Mikkel S. Eriksen;Tor Hermansen;Jimmy Napes;Normani;Sam Smith.
12 Slushii

Never Let You Go flac

Slushii. 2019. Writer: Sofía Reyes;Slushii;Aviella Winder.
13 Skrillex

Face My Fears flac

Skrillex. 2019. Writer: Poo Bear;Skrillex;Utada Hikaru.
14 Alora & Senii

Love U So flac

Alora & Senii. 2019. Writer: Alora & Senii.
15 The Chainsmokers

Hope flac

The Chainsmokers. 2018. Writer: Kate Morgan;Chris Lyon;Alex Pall;Andrew Taggart.
16 Imagine Dragons

Believer flac

Imagine Dragons. 2019. Writer: Dan Reynolds;Lil Wayne;Wayne Sermon;Ben McKee;Daniel Platzman;Robin Fredriksson;Mattias Larsson;Justin Tranter.
17 Alan Walker

I Don't Wanna Go flac

Alan Walker. 2018.
18 Mike Perry

Runaway flac

Mike Perry. 2019. Writer: Andreas Wiman;Dimitri Vangelis;Richard Müller;Sasha Rangas;Stefan Van Leijsen;Mike Perry.
19 Gesaffelstein

Lost In The Fire flac

Gesaffelstein. 2019. Writer: Ahmad Balshe;Nate Donmoyer;Gesaffelstein;DaHeala;The Weeknd.
20 Hozier

Almost (Sweet Music) flac

Hozier. 2019. Writer: Hozier.